When it comes to padlocks, security is key, however, depending on what you are using your lock for, there are other factors that come into play. If you are looking to lock your storage unit, you also want to take into account accessibility and cost as well. Fortunately, this list includes the best locks for storage units to help you decide which works best for you.
Our experts analyzed each product for various aspects including durability, stability, practicality, and cost to find the best locks on the market today.
When it comes to storing your personal belongings, you want to have the best lock to keep your things safe. Whether you are looking for extra security, ease of use, or a more affordable lock, this list includes all the necessary information to help you choose the best padlocks for storage units. You will find something here to fit your needs.
Locks for Storage Units: My Top Picks
Padlock 4 Digit Combination Lock – for Storage Unit
- Material: Metal, zinc alloy, steel
- 10,000 unique combinations
- 30 Days Money Back Guarantee
- Weight: 5oz.
One of the best padlocks for storage units is the combination lock from Desired Tools. This durable lock comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and manufacturer warranty, so you are sure to be pleased with this lock or you can get your money back.
This padlock features a four-digit combination lock with over 10,000 possible combinations. You also have the option to reset the combination at any time. The lock comes in five different colors to match your preference.
People who use this lock regularly say that it is easy to spot from a distance and love the fact that it is all-weather proof and easy to use. They like the fact that the combination is easy to set, so you can change it any time you need.
If you are looking for one of the best combination locks for your storage unit, this four-digit lock by Desired Tools is perfect for you.
- Because the lock is keyless, you don’t have to worry about losing anything to get the lock open. Simply use your re-settable combination to access the lock at any time of the day.
- This lock comes in a variety of colors and because the combination is resettable, you can customize this lock to your heart’s content.
- The numbers on the lock are fairly small so they may be hard to see when you are trying to enter your combination. If you have trouble reading smaller letters, this lock may not be the best for you.
- This is a smaller lock than expected, so if you are looking for something more heavy-duty you will want to look for another lock on this list.
ABUS 83CS/55-300 Schlage Rekeyable Chrome Plated Brass Padlock
- Material: Steel, hardened steel
- Anti Theft Design
- Locking mechanism: Key Lock
- Item Weight: 1.25 pounds
Another best lock for storage units is the Schlage re-keyable padlock. This durable lock is resistant to corrosion and will stand up to even the harshest weather conditions. This lock is praised for its durability and strength as well as its design.
This solid steel body with chrome plating has a shackle guard to prevent your lock from being tampered with. The re-keying process is simple and quick, which allows you to program the lock to a key you already have so you don’t have to carry an extra key on your ring.
Frequent users of this padlock love it for its heavy-duty design and all-weather durability. The durability and quality of this particular lock are primary features and the ability to program the lock to any key makes it a great addition to your security.
For being one of the best cylinder locks for storage units, the Schlage 55m is definitely worth looking into.
- Because the lock is re-keyable, you can set it to any key you already have or have a new key made specifically for your padlock.
- The durability of this steel and chrome padlock is sure to keep your personal belongings safe for years to come.
- The lock barrel may be too big to fit into certain lock holes so you will want to measure your lock hole before purchasing this padlock.
- This lock must be keyed before initial use. It comes with blank keys and needs to be calibrated before it can be securely used.
- This lock is a bit on the pricier side at just under $50 for one lock and one key.
ABUS 20/70 Diskus Stainless Steel Padlock with 3/8″ Shackle
- Material: Stainless Steel, Alloy Steel, Aluminum, Brass
- 360-degree all-round protection
- Item Weight: 12.8 ounces
If you are looking for a disc lock, one of the best disc locks for storage units is the Diskus padlock by Abus. This lock will provide your storage area with long-term added security that can with stand most harsh weather conditions.
This German-made stainless steel lock offers some of the highest quality security and durability on the market today. With over 30,000 different key configurations and stainless steel construction both inside and out, this lock will provide premium security for years.
Customers love the sleek design and durability of this German-engineered lock. One buyer boasted that all the locks in his area of a storage facility were busted but that their Abus Diskus was left intact and their belongings were safe.
If you prefer round locks for storage units, this is the lock for you. The sleek design and durable construction will provide you with security for years to come. The disc lock adds extra security compared to traditional pin lock-style padlocks.
- With a large number of key variations and the highest protection against manipulation, this is one of the safest locks for your storage unit.
- The disc-type lock is much harder to pick than traditional pin lock-style padlocks, giving your storage unit extra added security.
- This lock may not do well in extreme cold as the key may break off into the lock. You can avoid this by warming the key and lock before using them in extreme cold.
- If you want to rekey this lock for some reason, keys have to be ordered directly from the manufacturer in Germany. Take that into consideration and allow time for new keys to arrive.
Master Lock 930DLHPF Padlock with Key
- Material: Alloy Steel, Metal
- Indoor and outdoor padlock with key
- 5-Pin lock cylinder prevents picking
- Item Weight: 1.6 pounds
Master Lock is a well-known brand in personal security and this design is the best Master Lock for storage units. At an affordable price, this padlock is durable and easy to use and with a limited lifetime warranty, you can be sure that this lock will last you a long time.
The shackle of this 2-inch padlock is made from hardened boron alloy which adds protection from cutting and sawing. A 5-pin cylinder lock can be re-keyed with over 9,000 key changes for added security.
Most people who use this lock love the security they get for such an affordable price. Many people caution that you will want to check the dimensions of your lock hole before purchasing a version of this lock to be sure that you are getting the right size.
If you are looking for a classic lock with a sturdy design, this Master Lock is great for your storage shed and comes at an affordable price.
- At under $20, this lock is among the more affordable padlocks on this list.
- The solid steel of this padlock design gives it a modern look combined with a strong design.
- This lock works in many weather conditions, making it great for outdoor storage area locks.
- Because the shackle is so long in this design, you want to be sure to check the dimensions of the lock with the dimensions of your storage area.
- This lock has been known to rust over time. Though WD-40 may help with the rusting, it is worth considering if you are looking for an all-weather lock.
Stanley Hardware S828-244 CD8824 Laminated Steel Padlock
- Material: Alloy Steel, Stainless Steel
- ASTM security grade 5
- Dual stainless steel ball bearings
- 6-pin cylinder with anti-pick pins
- Item Weight: 2.05 pounds
Stanley is another hardware brand that is known for making quality padlocks. This fully enclosed steel padlock is one of the best on the market for your storage locker.
This 6-pin cylinder padlock has anti-pick pins and dual stainless steel ball bearings to resist attacks from lock pickers. The keyway cover helps prevent drilling attacks and the lock can be re-keyed for your safety and convenience.
Many love this lock for its ease of use and design. Some previous customers have said that this is the best possible lock you can get for the price. While certain customers have said that this lock can be easily picked, the option of upgrading the core mechanism can add extra security to this durable lock.
The Stanley padlock is a good padlock for storage units. It has nearly limitless upgrade possibilities. Whether you are looking for basic security or a more high-end lockdown for your belongings, this padlock will work for you.
- High-security of the six-pin Schlage mechanism in this padlock helps prevent lock picking and the heavy-duty stainless steel shackle will help prevent bolt-cutters from cutting through.
- The core of the lock can be replaced to upgrade the security of this lock. Because of this, you can customize this lock to be even more secure than when you originally received it.
- This lock may not fare well with long-term outdoor use. The inner mechanism can become corroded after some time. Fortunately, the core is replaceable if this happens.
- Re-keying the lock can be tricky and may require additional tools that are not included with the lock. However, if you plan to replace the core of this lock for added security, that may make the re-keying process easier.
ABUS 37/80 Granit Alloy Steel Rekeyable Padlock
- Material: Alloy Steel, Aluminum, Brass
- Locking mechanism: Key Lock
- Item Weight: 2.4 pounds
This is another Abus padlock that will work great with most storage units. German engineering and a re-keyable lock give this padlock strength and customization that will help keep your items secure.
This high-quality padlock features a 7-disc plus cylinder locking mechanism for heightened security. The hardened steel is covered with black Granit coating to help against corrosion and can hold up in most outdoor weather conditions.
Customers love this lock for its superior security and longevity. The lock is said to withstand up to 40 years in a marine environment provided the lock receives regular maintenance. With several tons of tensile strength, this lock is appreciated for its strength and durability.
This well-known and trusted brand of padlocks is among the best for personal security and the Granit does not disappoint. With all the features that come with this lock and the durability and longevity of the lock, you are sure to be able to keep your belongings secure for as long as needed.
- Each lock comes with two keys, one of which includes a light for opening the lock in the dark.
- A manufacturer’s warranty is available upon request, so you can be sure that your lock will last you for years no matter the situation.
- The shackle of this lock may be thicker than other locks so it may not fit on certain storage units. Be sure to compare the dimensions of the lock to the opening on your storage unit to ensure this will fit.
- This is among the more expensive locks on this list, coming in at just under $100.
Master Lock Pro Series – (3) Hidden Shackle Padlocks Keyed Alike 6271KA-3
- Material: Zinc
- 6-pin cylinder with spool pins
- 6 total keys
- Item Weight: 6.01 pounds
A popular style of padlock is the hidden shackle type. With this type of lock, there is no way to use bolt cutters to break the mechanism since the shackle is hidden in the back of the lock itself.
This set of three locks comes keyed alike and includes six keys. Each lock has a 6-pin cylinder which uses spool pins to make the lock harder to pick.
Customers love the sleek look and durability of this set of locks and most people prefer the hidden shackle to prevent bolt-cutting thieves.
If you are specifically looking for a hidden shackle lock, this Master Lock gives you excellent security at a reasonable price. Hidden shackles are great for preventing access with bolt cutters and the spool pins make this lock specifically harder to pick. You can be sure your storage unit is secure with this lock.
- With three locks coming with the same key programming, you can use this set for multiple storage units while still only needing one key to access them all.
- Each lock comes with a lifetime guarantee so you can rest easy knowing that your lock will work or the company will replace it for you.
- Because the shackle of this lock is in the back, it may be harder to fit this lock on certain storage units. Be sure to check your lock dimensions to ensure this will fit your unit.
- While this is a more expensive lock, coming in at just over $70, you are getting three separate locks with six keys. So, although it is a bit more expensive, you are getting more for your money.
American Lock A700D, 2-1/2″
- Material: Alloy Steel
- Shackle Width: 7/16 inch
- That resists cutting, sewing, and corrosion
- Item Weight: 1.4 pounds
Another classic style lock that gives you the most basic security is the American Lock. These are among the best storage unit locks for their simplicity while still providing excellent security.
Each steel padlock is chrome-plated to prevent sawing or corrosion. The locks are designed to be resistant to most outdoor elements and tampering and can be re-keyed if necessary.
People love these locks for the price point. These locks are more affordable than some on this list, and many say that you still get excellent quality security at a lower price. Some have even said they’ve seen this lock stand up to the largest bolt cutters without breaking.
If you want a classic padlock that has stood the test of time, the American Lock is a classic in the padlock industry. This is easily the best padlock in its affordable price range and will keep your things safe for years to come.
- This lock offers excellent security for less than $30.
- Because of the chrome plating, this lock has been known to stand up to most outdoor conditions without rusting or corroding.
- This lock only has a 5-pin cylinder, which makes it easier to pick than locks with more pins in the cylinder.
- While there are many security measures in place for this lock, there are also many resources available for lock pickers as well. If you want to use this lock, be sure that your lock comes with an internal protection wafer and, if you can, get the 6-pin cylinder model.
Mul-t-lock MT5+ TR 100″ Hockey Puck Padlock
- 2 keys and 1 Mul-lock key code I.D. card.
- 3 active locking mechanisms
- Item Weight: 2.05 pounds
Another padlock with a hidden shackle is the Mul-T-Lock Hockey Puck lock. While the shape of most hidden shackle locks can be difficult to pair with storage units, if you can get one to work with your unit, it can provide maximum security.
The body of this lock is made with hardened steel and has a nickel chrome matte finish for added style. Each lock has a three-part pin mechanism with spring-loaded action and double-sided keys.
Users of this lock love its durability and ease of use.
Puck-shaped locks can be among the safest types of padlocks available since they are resistant to their shackle being cut with bolt cutters. This highly secure padlock can easily help keep your personal items safe in your storage unit through most weather conditions and lock-picking attempts.
- This lock was designed with maximum security in mind and it is well worth the money.
- Each lock comes with two keys and can be re-keyed by the seller upon request.
- This is one of the most expensive locks on the list at just under $150.
- Because this is a hockey puck-style lock it may require a bit of additional hardware to get it to fit with regular storage unit locks. Be sure to measure your lock beforehand so you can know ahead of time if this lock will fit you or if you will need to purchase extra equipment.
Tips on Choosing
With such a variety of locks available, it can seem overwhelming to choose the best storage unit locks to fit your needs. Here are a few tips on what to look for when buying a lock for your storage unit:
Type of lock:
You can decide between a combination lock, padlock, cylinder lock, or disc lock, all with varying degrees of reliability.
While disc locks tend to be the most trusted type of lock, you may have trouble finding one that will work with your storage unit. Be sure to check the dimensions of the lock and your storage unit hinges before you buy it. In some cases, fingerprint padlocks can also be used.
As a general rule, the more you pay for a lock, the more security you will get from this lock. This is because more expensive locks tend to have failsafe mechanisms and customization for extra added security.
Size of lock:
Regardless of the type of lock, you choose you will want to be sure that the dimensions of the lock will fit with your storage unit. Be sure to measure the lock hole on your storage unit, as well as the dimensions surrounding the lock, and compare them to the dimensions of the lock you are looking to buy before making the purchase.
Location of storage unit:
If your storage unit is outdoors, you might want to invest in a known weather-proof lock. Many locks on this list come with chrome or hardened plastic coating to help prevent weather damage and corrosion. If you have an indoor unit, however, the importance of a weather-proof lock will be of less importance.
What to avoid:
Don’t purchase locks from places like dollar stores or other places that sell cheap merchandise. A good rule is that the cheaper the lock is to buy, the less security you will probably get from that lock. Fortunately locks like these range from tens of dollars to hundreds of dollars, so there is a lot of variety to choose from.
While it ultimately comes down to personal preference, this list includes things you should always take into consideration before buying a lock for your storage unit. If you have a trailer it’s important to be sure that is secured. In those words having a good trailer hitch lock is a must-have thing for all trailer owners.
Making The Decision
While it can be difficult to decide on the best locks for storage units, this list was designed to give you a variety of options at a variety of price points. If you are looking for something affordable to store things temporarily, you may want the affordable combination padlock by Desired Tools.
If you want more of a maximum-security padlock to store your valuables, and the price is less of a concern, you might want the Abus 83CS/55-300. Either way. there is something on this list that can deliver just what you need.
The best padlock for storage units comes down to personal needs, though some are definitely better than others. Fortunately, this comprehensive list breaks down the best of the best and gives you an idea of what you should look for when shopping for a padlock. Regardless of your needs, there is a lock here that is right for you.