Those with motorcycles of any kind know that it is a necessity to have the best motorcycle locks available to keep your bike, well, yours. Thievery of motorcycles and other motorbikes is an unwelcomely common occurrence.
The best way to avoid being a victim of this phenomenon is by adding levels of security to your motorcycle when it is not in use. That is why we have reviewed the best motorcycle locks on the market and created this list. By analyzing locking mechanisms, the thickness of bolts and locking pins, function, etc.,
we have created a comprehensive review list to help you determine which type of lock will protect your bike most appropriately.
Some locks in the review are fine and able to stand alone but sometimes combinations of locks are your best bet. Continue reading to figure out how you are going to protect your property!
Best Motorcycle Locks:
Kryptonite 000884 Keeper 5s Yellow Disc Lock
The first product in review is possibly the best motorcycle disc lock. The Kryptonite 000884 Keeper 5s Yellow Disc Lock locks over the spokes of the front wheel of motorcycles. The staple-shaped device works via a locking pin that extends through the spokes and locks into the unit.
Consumers share generally positive things about this lock from Kryptonite. One notable complaint is that the pin gets stuck sometimes, locking even the owner out of the bike.
In conclusion, the Kryptonite 000884 Keeper 5s Yellow Disc Lock is one of the better options on the market when it comes to trying to prevent the theft of your vehicle. With its compact design, it is easy to carry around and simple to use.
- Dual reinforced high-security disc-style cylinder
- 5mm pin diameter fits smaller vent holes
- Compact and lightweight design
- 2 x Stainless steel keys (ergonomic design reduces torque and makes them less breakable)
- Stapler-style disc lock for immobilizing vehicle (prevents roll-aways or ride-away theft)
- Bright orange reminder cable (prevents trying to ride away with the lock on)
- Dimensions: 3.1″ x 1.2″ x 1.2″
- Color: Yellow
- Weight: 1.1 lbs
- The lightweight design makes it easy to bring on rides
- Stapler style lock prevents wheel movement for added parking security
- Comes with a reminder cable so that you do not accidentally try to ride while the lock is in place
Kryptonite New York FAHGETTABOUDIT 1415 14mm Chain & New York Lock 15mm Disc Lock
At number six we have one of the best motorcycle chain lock models on the market. The Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain 1415 and New York Disc Lock is a simple chain and deadbolt unit. To use it you simply wrap the chain in a secure position and latch the chain ends onto the double deadbolt.
While this chain is working for some consumers, there is no neglecting the number of negative reviews for this Kryptonite chain lock. Many consumers claim that the chain is cheap and easy to see through or break, with multiple consumers claiming their motorcycle was stolen while using this chain lock.
In conclusion, this lock is good for quick stops and around-town theft prevention. However, for high crime areas, this type of lock will only do so much. Carefully consider your location before buying this product.
- 14mm six-sided chain links (made from 3 ft. of hardened manganese steel)
- Durable and protective nylon cover with hook-n-loop fasteners
- Maximize security New York disc lock (with 15mm max-performance steel shackle)
- Oval-hardened steel crossbar for extra security
- Hardened double deadbolt locking for extensive holding power
- High-security disc-style cylinder with reinforced anti-drill, anti-pull protection system
- Sliding dustcover protects and extends cylinder life
- 3 x Stainless steel keys
- Dimensions: 5 ft. chain length, 15mm shackle diameter
- Color: Black and yellow
- Weight: 15.75 lbs
- Kryptonite Anti-Theft Protection – up to $3,000 replacement coverage if theft occurs while using Kryptonite Series 2 locks (register within the first 15 days of purchase)
- Heavy-duty chain
- One of the 3 included keys has a light on it
- Long-chain length
- Kryptonite Anti-Theft Protection
Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 Bicycle Disc Bike Lock
The Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 Bicycle Disc Bike Lock is the next model in review. This unit is essentially a double deadbolt lock that locks your wheel disc and prevents it from having mobility.
The Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 Bicycle Disc Bike Lock is mostly held in high regard by consumers. Many claim that the unit is a great lock and does the job of locking your wheel disc.
In conclusion, the Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 Bicycle Disc Bike Lock is a great unit for locking up your wheel’s disc. It is simple enough to use and has the backing of consumers.
- 14mm hardened max performance steel shackle (resists both cutters and leverage attacks)
- Double deadbolt locking mechanism with extensive holding power
- High security, disc-style cylinder with reinforced anti-drill, anti-pull protection system
- Sliding dust cover protects and extends cylinder life
- 3 x Stainless steel keys (one lighted with a high-intensity bulb
- Key safe program – register your keys online and Kryptonite will ship you 2 keys, globally, in the event you lose them.
- Dimensions: 1.9″ x 1.2″ x 2.1″
- Color: Black
- Weight: 1.86 lbs
- Comes with 3 keys, one of which is lighted
- The key safe program is valuable in the event you lose your keys
- Double deadbolt for high-grade holding power
- Compact and easy to manage
- Only 14mm thick shackle
BigPantha #1 Motorcycle Lock
With so many good motorcycle locks in review, it is hard to believe there is yet another unique model. The BigPantha Motorcycle Grip-Lock is the only lock-in review that works by locking onto your handle, preventing the use of the throttle. With its easy-to-use design, this Grip Lock can be implemented in practically no time.
Consumers as a whole claim that this Grip-Lock is constantly saving their motorcycles. Some call it an excellent deterrent as it adds another level of difficulty for those looking to thieve your motorcycle.
The BigPantha Motorcycle Grip Lock is a great lock to add levels of security to your resting motorcycle. Applying this lock at a moment’s notice gives it a leg up on the competition.
- Universal operation: works on all two-wheelers with grips up to 1.5″ in diameter (also works on ATVs)
- Tough, durable, and a tamper-resistant design
- Comes with a BigPantha holster designed specifically for Grip Lock
- Can be fitted to lock in under 5 seconds (easy to use and implement)
- Dimensions: 5.5″ x 2.4″ x 1.1″
- Color: Red
- Weight: 1.15 lbs
- The universal operation allows for use on multiple variations of vehicles (mostly two-wheeled vehicles, however)
- Easy to use and can be fit in under 5 seconds
- Compact design but it also comes with a holster to make carrying the Grip-Lock easier
- Max handle diameter of 1.5″
YOHOOLYO Alarm Disc Lock Motorcycle Disc Brake Lock
This next lock model in review is perhaps the best motorcycle lock with an alarm. This lock, the YOHOOLYO Disc Lock Alarm Motorcycle Alarm Padlock, is nearly identical to the Bibowa model previously reviewed at number two. An added feature that helps this unit to stand out is its motion sensor.
Consumers cannot get enough of this YOHOOLYO model. Many consumers note that the unit is certainly worth the money and that the alarm actually functions properly, preventing thieves from thinking of tinkering with your motorcycle.
In conclusion, the YOHOOLYO Disc Lock Motorcycle Alarm Padlock is a great disc lock unit. Mirroring the Bibowa unit with an added motion sensor feature, this is one of the more sophisticated models available.
- Made entirely of sturdy, durable metal
- Built-in alarm sound reaches 110 decibels
- 7mm locking pin (allows for positioning at 360°)
- 2 x Keys
- Wide range of applications: motorcycles, bicycles, scooters, etc.
- Motion sensor with 5 seconds delay
- Rust-resistant, weather-resistant, and resistant to physical destruction
- 1 x Allen key
- Comes with a reminder cable
- Dimensions: 4.3″ x 4″ x 1.9″
- Color: Black (orange reminder cable)
- Weight: 13.6 ounces
- Heavy-duty metal construction
- Super lightweight, compact, and easy to manage
- Has a built-in sound alarm
- Has delayed motion detection
- Reminder cable included preventing attempted riding while the lock is in place
MaxxHaul 70075 Motorcycle Wheel Chock
The next anti-theft motorcycle lock-in review is the MaxxHaul 70075 Motorcycle Wheel Chock. Unlike the other products in the review, this unit gets installed in a permanent location and works by rolling the front wheel of a bike into the chock. It is essentially a lock for your bike’s resting place.
Consumers love this chock. The most common consumer opinion is that the chock is solid, heavy, and does its job exceptionally well.
The MaxxHaul 70075 Motorcycle Wheel Chock is a great lock for your bike’s resting place or storage space. It is easy to install and works well to keep your motorcycle protected from unwarranted use.
- 3-position adjustable holes on the wheelbase to accommodate various motorcycle wheel models
- Includes hardware and mounts securely to your floor, truck, or trailer
- The tire locks in as it is rolled into the wheelchock
- Heavy-duty steel construction with a durable powder coat finish resisting rust and corrosion
- Overall dimensions: 24″ x 9.75″ x 12.875″
- Base dimensions: 15.625″ x 10.625″
- Color: Orange
- Weight: 13.9
- Accommodates various motorcycle models with adjustable 3-position holes
- Easy lock-in-place design makes it possible for one person alone to lock their bike
- Heavy-duty steel and rust-resistant finish
- Not transportable (the lock is intended to be permanently placed)
Bibowa Disc Brake Lock with Alarm
The next best motorcycle locking system is the Bibowa Disc Brake Lock with Alarm. This unit functions similarly to the Kryptonite model reviewed at number one. This model from Bibowa is unique though because it has a built-in sound alarm system.
There is nothing to find but positive feedback when it comes to this Bibowa unit. Consumers wish they had bought it sooner and love the alarm feature as it actually prevents theft.
In conclusion, the Bibowa Disc Brake Lock with Alarm is a great bike lock thanks to its sound alarm. Any lock, no matter the design, is susceptible to being broken by thieves but the sound alarm adds a whole extra layer of issues for thieves.
- The loud, 110-decibel alarm on the lock
- Dual reinforced high-security disc-style cylinder
- 6mm pin diameter fits smaller vent holes
- Waterproof function
- Rugged disc locks are hardened to resist cutting, sawing, and chisel attacks
- High-security anti-drill lock core
- 5 ft. orange reminder cable (prevents attempts to ride while locked)
- Lock pre-fitted with 6 LR44 batters (+ extra set of batteries)
- 3 x Brass security keys
- Wide range application – works with most motorcycles, scooters, cruisers, choppers, sport bikes, racing bikes
- Has a loud, 110-decibel alarm system
- Comes with a carrying pouch
- Lightweight and waterproof
- Comes with 3 keys (good for spares and backups)
- Comes with extra batteries and a reminder cable
The Club UTL810 Utility Lock
The lock-in review at number four is The Club UTL810 Utility Lock. This unit closely resembles a U-lock. The length of the lock is adjustable, however, making the lock applicable to more than just your motorcycle. The unit can also withstand lots of pressure (up to 1,500 lbs).
While many consumers have had success with this lock, many also have not. Just as with any lock, a determined thief will get what they want. This lock is no different in that regard, if someone wants to break it, they likely could.
In conclusion, The Club UTL810 Utility Lock is a good lock for your motorcycle but it is not recommended for those in high-crime areas. With power tools, there is no lock truly able to prevent theft and this lock has a record of being broken to get to the bike.
- Extra heavy-duty construction can withstand over 1,500 lbs of pressure
- Vinyl-coated, tempered steel protects objects from scratches and scrapes
- Simple use design
- 2 x Security keys
- Length adjustable from 8.5″ – 11.5″; 6.25″ inside width
- Dimensions: 11″ x 9.1″ x 1.8″
- Color: Yellow
- Weight: 3.45 lbs
- Adjustable length design
- Weather resistance allows for protection in rain and other less ideal weather situations
- Simple to use and lightweight
- Wide range of applications, not limited to motorcycles
- Fixed shape may make it difficult to lock on certain objects
ABUS Granit Sledg 77 Web Disc Lock Yellow
Lock number five is very similar in form and function to the Bibowa unit and Kryptonite unit previously reviewed. The ABUS Granit Sledg 77 Web Disc Lock Yellow also takes on the staple design and works via a locking pin extending through the spokes on the front wheel.
There is not a negative review to find about this lock from ABUS. With a few consumers praising this lock for saving their motorcycles, this unit is reliable and up to the task of preventing theft.
In conclusion, the ABUS Granit Sledg 77 Web Disc Lock Yellow may be the strongest lock in review thus far. While it does not have sound alarms like the Bibowa unit, this unit has consumer backing proving its worth and usefulness in keeping your bike safe.
- 13mm locking bolt made from hardened, special steel
- Staple lock style protects against unauthorized use
- The mechanism locks the brake disc in place
- Small size, easy to handle, and compact
- The sliding mechanism makes it easy to operate
- Dimensions: 3″ x 5.1″ x 9.2″
- Color: Yellow and black
- Weight: 2.1 lbs
- Lightweight and simple to operate
- Locking bolt made from hardened, special steel
Trimax THEX5060 Combo Set
The tenth model in review and another good motorcycle anti-theft lock is the Trimax THEX5060 Combo Set. This locking unit functions in the same manner as the Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 chain lock. It is a thick chain covered in a protective sleeve that attaches to a double deadbolt.
Consumer reviews are slightly split for this chain lock. Some call it a great lock, stating that the chain is very thick and heavy-duty. Others claim that theirs has been broken easily. It truly depends on the area you reside as to whether a thief will feel inclined to break this chain.
In conclusion, while the chain of the Trimax THEX5060 Combo Set is thick and reportedly heavy-duty, it is among the simpler forms of motorcycle locks. It is useful for quick stops but we would not recommend this unit for long periods of immobility for your bike.
- 11mm large, hexagon-shaped links
- The durable Nylomex sleeve protects against scratches
- Durable PVC sleeve covers chrome steel shackle to prevent marring and scratching
- Hardened, solid steel lock (prevents prying, sawing, and hammer impacts)
- Withstands over 6 tons of pull force and 11 tons of cutting force
- 3 x Type B keys – ultra-secure wafer keys (one key is lighted)
- Lock core design provides the highest degree of protection against picking
- Dimensions: 23.1″ x 3.9″ x 3.2″
- Color: Black
- Weight: 8.9 lbs
- Protective sleeve to prevent scratching of your vehicle
- Comes with 3 keys and one that is lighted
- Withstands lots of force
- Only 11mm thick links
Factors to Consider
The following is a list of factors to consider when buying top-rated motorcycle locks:
Your location and where you intend to take your motorcycle are some of the most important factors to consider when shopping for the best motorcycle lock. While locks greatly improve your chances of keeping your motorcycle safe, a determined thief will find a way through any lock.
For this reason, it is best to understand the area your bike will be in or is in. A heavy-duty motorcycle lock is a start, but if you are in a crime-ridden area, perhaps multiple locks and layering your locks are your safest bet. By knowing the area you plan to ride and keep your bike, you can have a better understanding of the lock or a combination of locks you may need.
Locking pin/lock style:
The locking pin or locking style is something to consider as well. Typically, thicker locking pins are more reliable than thinner ones; however, some motorcycle wheel discs will only allow for a certain thickness when it comes to locking pins.
If you are entertaining a chain lock setup, consider the way the unit locks. Many chains can be easily broken through and therefore the thicker ones, a material considered, are better at keeping your bike safe.
Another factor to consider when buying a bike lock is what consumers have to say about the products. Consumers may exaggerate in reviews at times but when there are overwhelming amounts of similar opinions, you know you can trust what is being said. As some of the locks here have demonstrated, sometimes the consumers are more honest than the product descriptions by sellers.
Are lightweight motorcycle locks reliable?
Many of the lightweight models in review here are definitely reliable. The weight of the lock is really only prevalent when referring to chain locks. The strength and reliability of other locks rest in the locking pin and locking mechanism applied by the unit. Lightweight simply means it will not be difficult to transport around with you and will be easier to handle.
Should I buy a single lock of multiple?
Locks are advertised as stand-alone units. However, we all know criminals can be determined people and a single lock may not be enough to keep them away.
If you live in a relatively safe area, you should have no problem using one lock, and having that one lock accomplishes the task of keeping your motorcycle safe. If the area you ride in or live in has a higher crime rate, using multiple locks in combinations may be the best way to deter thievery.
Which style of lock is best?
The style of lock that is best is determined by where you live, how often you stop, and how complex a system you would like to implement. The staple-shaped lock devices, such as the Bibowa, are terrific for locking your wheel disc.
These disc locks, granted they are not broken off, prevent the disc from having mobility, thus preventing the wheel from moving.
However, a properly attached chain can also prevent mobility. If you want something easy to use and quick, the staple-shaped disc locks are likely the best option.
In conclusion, a high-security motorcycle lock is an absolute requirement for motorcycle riders who take their bikes out in public and leave them stationary anywhere for any period of time. However, which lock is the best motorcycle lock is more of a personal preference.
For high crime areas, the disc lock, the stapler-style lock is recommended. Then again, if the crime rate in your area is high enough, we highly recommend using a multiple-lock system. Otherwise, using the tips and pointers in these reviews, make a decision that feels right for you and your bike.
By making it through these reviews you are further prepared to jump into the shopping experience and find the right lock. By keeping an eye on the details and being wary of consumer reviews, you should have no trouble finding a lock you are comfortable buying. Get yours today and keep that motorcycle of yours safe!