Are you constantly worried about the locks on your glass doors? Are you afraid that your lock won’t hold up to a burglar or that your kids can freely open it when they shouldn’t? If so, then you could benefit from purchasing a sliding glass door lock to help prevent these types of worries.
However, which one is the best? There are several quality locks on the market, but it is important to consider a few factors before making your final purchasing decision, which we have provided you with in detail below, as well as reviews of the 8 best sliding glass door locks. Let’s get started.
Best Sliding Glass Door Locks:
1. PRIME-LINE E 2014 Mortise Lock – Adjustable, Spring-Loaded Hook Latch Projection for Sliding Patio Doors Constructed of Wood, Aluminum, and Vinyl, 3-11/16”, 45 Degree Keyway, Round Face
- Installation is quick and easy
- Can be used on sliding patio doors constructed of wood, aluminum, and vinyl
- The lock has a 45-degree angled keyway position when in the locked position
Prime-Line is one of the top manufacturers of sliding glass door locks, and this is one of their top models. They designed this lock to be easy to install, which is excellent for anyone that doesn’t have a lot of knowledge in installing these types of locks. Plus, this lock model is designed to make it easy to replace similar locks that have been locked in the past.
To make it easier to unlock, this lock has a 45-degree keyway position that makes it easier to unlock if you accidentally lock it when you didn’t mean to. It is important to recognize that this lock does have to be personally installed, but it could easily be done with little to no prior experience.
Most consumers that purchased this lock were looking for one of the best patio door security locks, and they liked that it was easy to install and that it could replace a broken lock of the same type easily. However, some consumers did have minor issues when trying to contact the manufacturer’s customer service department.
- Designed to be easy to install
- Capable of replacing old or broken door locks
- Has a 45-degree keyway position
- Poor customer service response
2. Master Lock 265D Door Security Bar
- Heavy duty, dual-function door security bar
- The door security bar design is portable and compact
- Made with heavy-duty 20-gauge steel for strength and security
- Adjustable from 27.5 in. (70 cm) to 42 in. (1 m) in length
Master Lock is one of the top manufacturers of door locks, and they are known for making quality door security bars. This is one of their top models, and it has a lot to offer people that are looking for a quick solution to help secure their sliding glass doors.
This bar doesn’t require any tools to install, and it is designed to be simply adjusted to fit most sliding glass doors. Plus, it is made from high-quality 20-gauge steel which makes it a durable choice that will not easily give under pressure. Finally, it was designed to be compact and portable, which means it can be put in place and taken off when not needed.
Most consumers purchased this sliding door frame locking bar because it is designed to be easy to install and doesn’t require any tools to adjust or install. Plus, they liked that it has a portable and compact design. However, some have expressed having a few minor issues with the locking pin on the telescoping part.
- Doesn’t require any tools to install or adjust
- Made from heavy-duty 20-gauge steel
- Made to be compact and portable
- Minor issues with the locking pin on the telescoping part
3. Burglabar 2 Pack – Great for Sliding Patio Door Lock, (Use 2 for doors), Sliding Window Lock, Sliding Basement Windows Lock, Child Safety Lock
- Our sliding glass door lock and window lock keep you safe and can be used to childproof your home.
- The lock provides additional safety while you are home and keeps your home safe when you are not
- Great door safety lock for kids keeping your little explorers safely inside
- Burglabar installs quickly and easily without any tools
This bar lock is designed to work with most types of sliding glass doors, but it is important to note that will not work with all types of sliding glass doors. So, you should verify the type of door you have to make sure this burglar bar will work with your sliding glass door.
This lock is made from LEXAN which is a high-quality material that is meant to be durable and last. Plus, it uses a 3M adhesive bond that holds like it was welded into place. However, this doesn’t mean that it is hard to install. It is designed to be easy and quick to install, and it even comes with a self-locking hinge.
Most consumers that purchased this lock were looking for the best childproof sliding door lock, and they liked this lock was designed to be both easy and quick to install. Plus, it comes with a self-locking hinge. However, some consumers have witnessed that it doesn’t work well on some sliding glass doors, which means it needs to check out before being purchased.
- Made from LEXAN and has a 3M adhesive that bonds like a weld
- Has a self-locking hinge
- Easy and quick to install
- Doesn’t work well for all sliding glass doors
4. Sliding Door and Window Lock Aluminum (Patio Door Lock – Keyed)
- Surface Mounted Design
- Key Locking Feature
- Used on patio doors, sheds, and utility doors
- Easy to Install
This particular lock is designed to be used on both sliding doors and windows, and it is made from high-quality aluminum which makes it an excellent choice. This particular lock has a key-locking feature that makes it easy to get in and out, even if you lock it from the outside.
Plus, this lock is designed to be both easy to install and work, and it is designed to be mounted to the surface of the door or window. The only downside to this lock is the quality of the screws that are included with it. However, this can easily be fixed by purchasing the same-sized screws at your local hardware store.
Most consumers that purchased this lock were looking at glass door security locks, and they choose this one because they liked that it has a key-locking feature and that it is simple to install. However, some consumers have expressed having issues with the quality of the screws that were provided with this lock.
- Has a key-locking feature
- Designed to be easy to install
- Has a surface-mounted design
- Comes with poor-quality screws
5. Defender Security U 9847 Patio Sliding Door Loop Lock – Increase Home Security, Additional Child-Safe Security, 2-1/4″ Hardened Steel Bar with Diecast Base, Chrome PlatedView at Amazon
- Installation is quick and easy
- Has a hardened steel locking bar with a diecast-constructed mounting plate
- Can also be installed out of reach of children so they cannot open the door by themselves
Defender Security is a well-known manufacturer of sliding glass door locks, and this is one of their most popular models. It was designed to be easy to install, and it is made from durable hardened steel that is high-quality to help ensure that it will not break under pressure.
Plus, it was designed to be a secondary security locking device, which makes it an excellent choice for someone that already has a door lock on their sliding glass door, but wants extra security.
Most consumers that purchased this lock were looking for extra security for sliding doors, and they liked that this lock was made from high-quality and durable steel and that it is capable of working as a secondary locking device. However, some consumers had issues with the size of the screws that were included with this lock.
- Designed to be easy to install
- Made from high-quality durable hardened steel
- Works as a secondary security locking device
- Minor issues with the size of the included screws
6. Andersen Reachout Lock and Receiver Kit (2 Panel) (1986 to Present)
- Works with Perma-Shield Gliding, Narroline Gliding, and Frenchwood Gliding patio doors manufactured from
- This kit includes the reach-out lock mechanism often called the deadlock that installs in the door
- The lock mechanism reaches out hooks the receiver pulls the door closed and locks the door
- This kit is used on all 2-panel doors
Anderson is by far one of the top manufacturers in the industry for creating locks for sliding glass doors, and this particular lock is one of the best locks that they designed. Plus, this lock also comes with a retriever kit that makes it easy to swap out the lock.
Plus, this particular model is designed to replace locks on vintage-style doors that have to reach out locks. Unlike some other locks, this one comes with its outreach lock mechanism, and it is capable of being used on any sliding glass door that has 2 panels. This is one of the downsides because it is not capable of working with doors that only have a single panel.
Many consumers purchased this particular lock because it is designed to replace vintage locks on most reach outdoor locks, and they liked that it is capable of being able to be installed on any 2-panel door, which helps to narrow down the type of door you need for it to work properly.
However, some consumers didn’t like that they weren’t capable of locking the door from the outside.
- Can be used to replace vintage reach-out locks
- Includes a reach-out lock mechanism
- Capable of being used on all 2-panel doors
- Minor issues with not being able to unlock from the outside
7. Prime-Line U 11037 High-Security Deadbolt Lock for Sliding Patio Doors, Dual Steel Bolts Provide Superior Protection against Forced Entry, Doubles as Child-Safety Lock, White/Black (U 11037)
- This high-security patio door deadbolt lock helps prevent forced entry
- Use this safety locking hardware to keep the bad guys out and the little ones in
- The lock body and keeper bracket are constructed of extruded aluminum and come in a white-painted finish
- The double-action lock bolts are constructed of solid steel and penetrate 1-inch deep into the top and bottom of the keeper bracket
- Adds increased security to your home to help thwart would-be home invaders from breaching vulnerable entry points
Prime-Line is a well-known manufacturer of locks for sliding glass doors, and this is one of their most popular models that includes a deadbolt lock.
The entire lock is designed to have a low-profile sleep design, which makes it ideal if you don’t want anyone to register that it has a locking system. Plus, it is made from high-quality aluminum, and this particular lock has a white finish, which helps it to blend in with most door trimmings that are painted in white.
This lock is made to work with most patio doors, and it is designed to keep the door from being lifted off of its sliding panels. However, it is important to note that this particular door lock does not work with all types of patio doors. Therefore, you must make sure that your door is compatible with this lock before making a purchasing decision.
Most consumers that purchased this particular lock had a sliding glass door with a deadbolt. They liked that this lock is designed with a low-profile design and that it is designed to help keep a sliding glass door from being lifted off of its panels.
However, this particular lock does not work with all sliding glass doors, which means you need to compare compatibility with your door before purchasing this particular lock.
- Has a sleek low-profile design
- Made from extruded aluminum and has a white finish
- Helps to keep patio door from being lifted off sliding panels
- Doesn’t work with all sliding doors
8. Patio Sliding Door Security Foot Lock Kick Lock , Fits on Top Rail-Childproof Patio Door Guardian-or Bottom Rail-Foot Operated-Keep Your Family Safe and Secure
- With its double-locking action, it is virtually impossible to remove the door by lifting it off its track
- Able to provide over 1000 lbs of forced entry load tension. Another reason these patio door kick locks are great is that they usually have two operational positions
- HauSun patio door security lock can be installed both on the top or bottom rail
This particular locking mechanism has a lot of things to offer someone that requires a quality lock. It is capable of locking in two different ways, which provides stability and options to those that choose to purchase it.
It has a kick lock mechanism that allows you to lock your sliding glass door without bending over to set it. Plus, this particular lock has been tested against 1,000 pounds of tension, which is ideal when testing it against a potential burglary.
Finally, this particular lock is designed to work with most sliding glass doors regardless of what they are made from or what the frame is made from, regardless if it is made from wood, aluminum, or vinyl. However, there is one important factor that you need to consider because this lock only works on doors that have an inside track.
Most consumers that purchased this particular lock liked that it could be installed in two different ways, which provided them with a variety of choices. Plus, they liked that this lock has been tested to provide 1,000 pounds of forced entry tension. However, they didn’t like that this particular lock is designed to only work on doors with inside tracks.
- Can be installed in two different ways
- Provides over 1000 pounds of forced entry tension
- Works on vinyl, wood, and aluminum sliding doors
- Only designed to work on inside tracks
Factors to Consider When Buying a Sliding Door Lock
With these types of doors, the best way to secure a sliding glass door can cause an issue of debate. Unlike regular doors, these types of doors can be harder to secure properly. Here are a few factors that you should consider before making your final purchasing decision.
Type of Sliding Door
There are various types of sliding glass doors and not all locks will work with them all. Before purchasing a new door lock, it is important to be aware of whether it will work with your existing door.
Some locks only work on inside tracks, while others can work on both types of tracks.
The problem with inside tracks is that if it gets locked while you are outside, you will not be able to unlock it. However, if they are on the outside track, the locking mechanism might not be as secure.
Key Accessible Sliding Door Locks
These types of locks not only provide security but can be unlocked from the inside or outside. If you have recently purchased a home, it is important to check the sliding glass door locking systems, because many of them use basic locks, which don’t provide a sense of advanced security.
Many burglars are capable of opening these types of locks, but when a key is an accessible lock, you increase the opportunity that you can keep them out.
Plus, a key-accessible sliding door lock will allow you to access the security of your door from the outside and unlock it from there, as well.
You can purchase these types of locks in various materials, and the most secure locks are made either from aluminum or hardened steel. However, this does not mean that some of the other locks are not quality locks. The most important thing to consider when looking at the material is if it is high-grade.
Sliding Glass Door Locks – FAQ
Below are just a few questions that you might have about sliding glass door locks and the best answer that we were able to provide. Let’s get started.
How to make a sliding glass door more secure?
The first thing that you can do is purchase a quality lock for your door, but it is important to also consider other securities. For instance, you could get a shatterproof film that goes over the glass to make it harder to break or shatter.
What is the best lock for a sliding glass door?
Different types of glass doors require different types of locks to be effective. It is important to look at your situation and make sure that the lock you are looking at will install correctly to the type of sliding door that you have.
Are there smart locks for sliding glass doors?
These types of locks are available, it is important to know that they are on the expensive side. Plus, they can be more difficult to install and usually need some sort of expert to install them correctly. However, if this is the type of lock you are interested in they are available, but you should be prepared to pay more than you would on the above locks.
If you are looking for one of the best locks for sliding patio doors, then we commend the Prime-Line E 2014, Mortise Lock. This lock might not be the best for your situation, but it was the best all-around lock that would fit most situations. Plus, it is easy to install, which some of these lock types can be without professional assistance.
However, it is important to know that you need to research your door to make sure that you purchase the correct locking system for your needs. First, you need to know the type of door that you have, and then you need to figure out which type of lock is compatible with that door type.
It is important to remember that not all locks will fit all doors, so if you do not research which locks will fit your door, then you cannot make an informed purchasing decision.