Few activities offer the unique chance to get back to nature and enjoy some peace and quiet like camping. Do you love camping with your friends and family but have grown tired of tents made from cheap nylon, polyester, or other synthetic materials?
Polyester and nylon materials are popular because they are lightweight and can fold up into compact shapes that are easy to carry. However, you may notice that you and your family feel uncomfortable in the tent if the weather turns unexpectedly cool. This situation occurs because polyester does not provide good insulation.
Furthermore, nylon and polyester can fade over time as a result of sun exposure. As an alternative, top-quality canvas tents typically provide improved durability, insulation, and comfort than nylon or polyester tents.
Read on if a camping canvas tent sounds good to you. We have reviewed 12 of the best canvas tents for camping on the market today.
Canvas Tents for Camping: My Top Picks
Dream House Three-Season Cotton Canvas Camping Pyramid Tent
The Dream House three-season camping pyramid is an excellent choice for a small canvas tent. It has a sturdy, square base that measures approximately 7 feet by 7 feet. At just over 6.5 feet tall, this option can comfortably fit two to three adults.
This relatively cheap canvas tent contains a number of amenities that you will likely appreciate on your next camping trip. For example, there are four ventilation ports at the top to help keep you and your guests cool during warm days and provide fresh air throughout your trip.
Customers love how easy it is to set up the Dream House canvas pyramid tent. One person can set it up, but it goes even faster with a friend to help out. They also really like that the tent comes with its own canvas bag for ease of transport and storage.
- More than 318 cubic feet of space in the tent to fit 2 to 3 adults.
- Two doors with canvas flaps, which will make it easy for you to quickly enter and exit your tent.
- Mesh screens under the door flaps enable you to let more light and air into the tent without allowing insects or other small critters into your tent.
- Beige cotton canvas cover material with a waterproof polyurethane (PU) coating for increased water and moisture resistance.
- Comes with four steel poles, and 8 pegs to provide structure and secure your tent to the ground.
- Comfortably accommodates 2 or 3 adults
- Easy setup and take down with sturdy steel poles and pegs.
- Convenient to bring to your favorite campsite or store for the winter with the complimentary carrying case.
- Some customers have reported issues with the ventilation ports allowing water into the tent during heavy rains. You may not want to use this tent during inclement weather.
Outdoor Luxury Glamping Bell Tents
Free Space’s bell tents provide enough space to easily sleep up to four adults. These luxury shelters are ideal for outdoor festivals or periodic camping trips with your friends or loved ones. They are constructed with cotton canvas for durability, breathability, and water resistance.
Additional specialized coatings make this tent waterproof. Furthermore, it is actually suitable for long-term outdoor living across all four seasons. Unlike nylon and polyester tents you can use this tent year-round in a variety of weather conditions.
Customers love how great the bell tents look when they are set up. They also like how well-insulated it is and the fact that the tents keep them warm even on cold nights.
- Free Space offers tents with 9.8-foot or 13.1-foot) diameters to meet your needs.
- In addition to the canvas’s natural water-repelling properties of the canvas, these tents include coatings that provide full waterproofing, UV protection, and mold and mildew resistance.
- Comfortably accommodates 4 to 6 adults
- Mosquito netting helps keep bugs and other small creatures out of your tent.
- Four zippered windows and top ventilation ports allow for increased airflow.
- Some customers have reported issues with the ventilation ports allowing water into the tent during heavy rains. You may not want to use this tent during severe weather.
WHITEDUCK Avalon Canvas Bell Tent
White Duck’s luxury Avalon canvas bell shelter features a five-inch stove jack and an optional fire retardant coating, which allows you to safely use a camping stove in the tent. This feature makes the Avalon one of the best winter canvas tents on the market today.
Every aspect of this tent is designed for four-season use including a durable ground sheet that you can zip in and out. This PVC layer will not only protect you and your friends and family from the cold, hard ground in the fall and winter months but also keep mud and water out on rainy days.
White Duck also integrated military-grade YKK zippers around all windows and doors to ensure that you can reliably open and close your tent for years to come. Waterproof flaps and a hood over each of the roof vents mean that the Avalon is one of the best all-weather canvas tents available.
Current owners love the spacious interior. The 6-meter model has the ability to comfortably sleep 10 people. Other users appreciate the high-quality materials and the craftsmanship. All seams and zippers are reinforced and double-stitched for durability.
- Available in diameters of 13.1 feet, 16.5 feet, and 20 feet.
- 5-inch stove jack and electrical outlet and organizers.
- Galvanized steel center pole will resist rust and A-frame doors will provide between five feet, 10 inches, and 6 feet, 2 inches of clearance for you to easily carry essentials in and out of the tent.
- Center heights between 8 feet, 6 inches, and 11 feet, 2 inches depending upon the model chosen.
- Ability to add sleeping pods to four of the windows for additional sleeping capacity.
- 3-foot walls that can roll up to allow for additional breeze or sunlight on nice days.
- 8, 10, or 12 windows with mesh to keep unwanted bugs out depending upon the model chosen.
- Compared to nylon or polyester tents, the Avalon bell tent is noticeably heavier. The 13-foot tent weighs in at over 40 pounds. The large 20-foot model weighs over 75 pounds.
KODIAK CANVAS 12×9 Canvas Cabin Tent
One of the best canvas cabin tents is the Kodiak Canvas 12×9 foot model. This tent has a 7.5-foot ceiling, which means that you can easily stand up and walk around while in the tent. A generously sized front door and side entry will likely also allow most average users to enter and exit without having to duck down low.
The tent features proprietary Hydra-Shield canvas to keep you dry and warm, even in wet weather. The frame includes welded edge braces that provide additional stability and durability. Two shorter side poles allow you to use one of the side walls as an awning for additional living space on warm, sunny days.
Many purchasers have raved about how watertight this tent is. Several users noted that there were no leaks in the tent even after multiple days of heavy rains.
- Five windows with No-See-Um™ mesh for enhanced breathability and air circulation on nice days. The mesh will keep out unwanted insects or other small pests.
- Stainless steel loops and 12-inch steel stakes ensure that your tent stays secure even in the harshest weather.
- Weatherproof and long-lasting duck canvas is great for longer-term stays in your tent.
- “D”-shaped front door makes it easy to walk in and out of the tent upright.
- Heavy-duty and reliable construction with strategic reinforcements in the corners.
- Ability to roll one wall up and use it as an awning with the provided shorter poles.
- Some purchasers commented that the poles jammed and would not extend after being stored. However, most users indicated that turning the poles at the bottom quickly resolved this issue.
Kodiak Canvas Truck Bed Tent
Do you plan to take a truck with you on your next camping excursion? If so, then you might want to explore this truck bed tent from Kodiak Canvas. This option is made with the same Long-lasting waterproof cotton canvas as the company’s traditional ground tents.
This tent comes with rails that you can clamp onto your truck’s box. A frame constructed from ¾ inch steel tubing allows the canvas to spread over your truck’s bed with a 5-foot tall ceiling. Furthermore, you can even leave your tailgate down to maximize the available space inside of the enclosure.
Many customers love the convenience of this tent. They like the option of being able to use their bed as a secure sleeping space instead of having to set up a tent on the ground.
- Five windows afford you ample ventilation and a scenic view. One of the windows faces your truck’s cab for convenient access.
- The tunnel entry point allows you to remain covered while you climb into your tent.
- Option to mount the rails to your truck bed to rapidly put your tent up for future trips.
- “D”-shaped opening by the truck bed makes it easy to enter and exit the tent.
- Three different designs to fit the short-bed, standard bed and long-bed trucks. These tents can fit on beds between 5.5 and 8 feet in length. You should carefully measure your truck’s specific dimensions to make sure that you got the correct model.
- The cab access window lets you listen to your truck’s radio or access the navigation system, USB ports, or other creature comforts.
- Several people who bought the tent commented that the engine installation instructions were not clear. Luckily, many other users have posted tips on the best way to set up this tent in their trucks.
UNISTRENGH 4 Season Large Waterproof Cotton Canvas Bell Tent
UNISTRENGH’s 6 person canvas tent is ideal for camping in not only the spring and the summer but also the fall and the winter. Unlike many other tents, this model comes with a hole in the roof specifically for a camping stove pipe. A red square on the roof identifies where your stove’s chimney pipe should go.
This section of the roof also includes a fire-resistant coating for added safety and security. When you are not using your stove, you can cover this area with a provided canvas flap to enhance the tent’s weatherproofing and reduce the potential for leaks.
Many buyers have commented positively about the tent’s size. With diameters between 9.8 feet and 23 feet depending upon the model, even large hunting groups or camping families were able to find a size that could fit all of their gear. For example, several people noted that they fit multiple air mattresses, tables and chairs, and a stove in the tent without issues.
- A ceiling hole for the stove pipe jack helps get smoke and potential embers away from your tent. Other canvas tents that have stove jacks feed them out through the side of the tent. This approach may not allow the smoke to dissipate as quickly as when it exits through the ceiling.
- UV and water-repellent coatings may provide a longer useful life than similar, non-treated canvas tents.
- PVC floor helps you stay dry even in muddy or wet conditions.
- Multiple sizes are available that can sleep between 4 and 10 people depending upon the tent’s diameter.
- Plastic cups hold the tent’s center pole to prevent tears or damage to the PVC ground sheet.
- May be watertight after being seasoned in as little as one rain.
- The 23-foot diameter tent is heavy. It weighs more than 100 pounds. You will likely need two people or more to set it up.
WHITEDUCK Alpha Canvas Wall Tent
White Duck’s Alpha canvas wall tent is one of the largest tents on our list. There are two options, one that measures 10 feet by 12 feet and one that is 16 feet by 20 feet. That means you could have up to 320 feet of covered space for you, your friends, and your family during your next camping trip or outdoor event!
These tents come with everything that you would need to create a safe, waterproof space for your guests. They include a heavy-duty aluminum frame, a kit to angle the rafters, and a free-floating ground sheet. A five-inch stove jack will allow you to install a camping stove to keep everyone warm.
After reading over some of the white duck tent reviews it is clear that this tent gets high marks for its craftsmanship and amenities. People really like the high walls and the option to add an optional porch for even more capacity.
- Easy setup with the included sturdy aluminum frame and steel rafter supports. No need to find and cut poles like some old-school canvas tents.
- Five-foot high walls and an overall ceiling between 11 and 15 feet mean that even the tallest of your friends can stand up comfortably in these tents.
- Optional porch attachment to add even more space for relaxing.
- Frame poles are color-coded to make assembling the tent easier.
- High-quality construction with military-grade double zippers, triple-layer windows, and reinforced seams.
- The silicone ring around the stove jack adds additional fire protection and prevents water from leaking into the tent.
- The tents do not come with written instructions. However, most people found the color coding sufficient to allow them to assemble the tent without issue.
KODIAK CANVAS 1-Person Canvas Swag Tent with Sleeping Pad
If you are looking for the best one person canvas tent, Kodiak’s Canvas Swag Tent is a great choice to consider. While it is only designed for one person, this tent offers plenty of space. It is 6 feet, 8 inches long, and three feet wide. The tent comes with a 2-inch foam mattress pad and a comfy flannel cover.
To allow for ventilation and airflow, this tent features multiple zippered openings. This is also a highly durable option and is made from 100% cotton duck canvas.
People who have purchased this tent love how quick and easy it is to set up and tear down. They also say that it is a good tent to have when you are camping on a cool night since the tent keeps you warm and cozy. Reviewers have also shared that they find the tent to be plenty spacious, even for those who are taller.
- The tent is spacious for one person at 6 feet 8 inches long and 3 feet wide.
- It has a flannel-covered 2-inch foam mattress.
- There are zippered windows to help provide airflow.
- The top can unzip and roll back to turn the tent into a screened-in shelter.
- The tent provides plenty of space for one person to sleep comfortably.
- Your purchase includes a 2-inch foam mattress pad and flannel cover.
- You can convert the tent into a screen shelter by rolling the top part back.
- Too bulky to use for backpacking.
TETON Sports Sierra Canvas Tent
If you need a tent that will accommodate a lot of people, the TETON Sports Sierra Canvas Tent may be just what you’re looking for. This is a 12-foot tent that can comfortably sleep up to 10 people. It is made from a durable, waterproof canvas, so you won’t need to worry about getting wet on a rainy night when you are camping.
You’ll love the tent’s oversized door when you are loading or unloading all of your gear for camping. This tent also has a removable floor. This feature makes it possible to use it as a canopy in addition to a full tent.
After looking through customer reviews, it is clear that most people who purchase this tent are very happy with their purchase. They find that the tent is very simple to set up and does a good job of keeping the rain out and the inside dry. Customers have also shared that they are impressed with the quality of the construction and materials.
- This item is made from a waterproof canvas material that will keep you and your gear dry.
- The floor can be removed to turn the tent into a canopy.
- It has a wide door to make loading and unloading easy.
- There are access ports to help you run power into the tent.
- The canvas material is both breathable and waterproof.
- The extra wide door will help simplify the process of loading and unloading gear.
- You can convert the tent into a canopy by removing the floor.
- You may find it difficult to fit beds for 10 people to fit comfortably in this tent.
Outdoor Safari Glamping Tent
You’re sure to love this round canvas tent from Outdoor Safari. Their Glamping Tent will keep you comfortable and allow you to thoroughly enjoy your next camping trip. This is a smaller tent, perfect for intimate camping trips for two people. It has a 10-foot diameter.
The side walls can be rolled up to provide airflow and ventilation. The tent features double-stitched seams, reinforced corners, a waterproof PU coating, and numerous other features that will help it provide you with multiple years of enjoyment.
Customers seem very satisfied with the quality of this tent considering how reasonably priced it is. They also were very pleased with how quick and easy it was to set up the tent.
- 10-foot diameter is large enough to accommodate up to two campers.
- Constructed using a heavy-duty and waterproof 900D Oxford cloth.
- The groundsheet can be removed by unzipping the zipper.
- The tent has integrated mosquito screens on the door and windows.
- If you want to allow more air into the tent, you can roll up the side walls.
- The tent comes with a heavy-duty canvas bag with a strap for easy carrying.
- There are integrated mosquito screens on the windows and doors to keep bugs from ruining your night.
- There is no chimney hole in this tent.
DANCHEL OUTDOOR B5 Pro Glamping Canvas Tent
If you’ve been searching for the best wall tent for the money, look no further than the DANCHEL 4-Season Family Cotton Ball Tent. This tent comes in 10-, 13-, 16-, and 20-foot diameter sizes, so you should be able to find the perfect size to meet your needs.
Many owners describe how easy it is to set up this tent. Several people noted that even the initial setup only took 30 minutes. With another person to help and a little practice, you may be able to set this tent up in less than 10 minutes.
- Available with 10-, 13-, 16-, and 20-foot diameters.
- Made from a durable and rainproof-treated cotton canvas material.
- Side walls can roll up to create a panoramic, 360-degree view of your surroundings.
- Optional double stove jack design with one jack in the wall and one in the ceiling.
- Stove jack in the side wall and an option to get another one in the ceiling. You could use the ceiling jack for the stove pipe and the jack spot in the sidewall as a way to get cables for your devices into the tent.
- The 20-foot diameter tent can easily fit two queen blow-up mattresses with space for a card table or other items.
- Fire-proof fiberglass fabric around the stove jacks keeps the tent safe while the stove is in use.
- Several customers have commented about the zippers breaking on the floor liner and the windows.
glamcamp Bell Tent 100% Cotton Canvas Waterproof Large Tents
As a final option, you should also consider the Luxury Outdoor Bell Tent by Glamcamp. This heavy-duty canvas tent offers enough space for four to six individuals to sleep comfortably. With a 13.1-foot diameter, the tent is large enough to fit a queen-sized bed and two twin-sized beds.
This tent comes as a complete package. Your purchase includes a zippered PE ground sheet, tent account, 5-inch wide stove jack opening, 4 windows with mosquito screens, a bug mesh covering for the door, galvanized steel entrance and center poles, a tool kit with pins and pegs, and a waterproof tent bag.
A key feature that sets this product apart from other similar items is the zip-away floor. By simply unzipping the zipper, you can change the tent into a canopy that can be used at picnics, festivals, weddings, and other outdoor events.
Customers who have purchased this tent are overwhelmingly satisfied with it. They have shared that this tent features high-quality construction and is a very durable product. Customers also like that the stove vent is placed on the top of the tent rather than on one of the sides.
- The tent is made from a water-repellent and UV-resistant 100% cotton canvas.
- It has double-stitched seams for added durability.
- The zip-away floor allows you to transform the tent into a canopy.
- The tent can be set up and ready to use in just 20 minutes
- The large size can accommodate up to 6 individuals.
- You can unzip the tent’s floor to turn it into a canopy.
- Set-up only takes about 20 minutes.
- There are other options that will cost less money.
Factors to Consider
There are literally thousands of canvas tents available on the market today. It can be an overwhelming endeavor to try and compare all of them and pick the one that might best suit your needs.
We have put together a list of some of the key attributes that you may want to consider when making your decision. These characteristics include:
- Weight: The materials that top canvas tent brands like Kodiak Canvas, White Duck Outdoors, Montana Canvas, and other manufacturers use can have significantly different weights and thicknesses. The lightest canvas tents for backpacking can weigh as little as 20 pounds. Yet, large wall tents intended to host 10 people or more can weigh over 100 pounds.
You will need to carefully consider your most likely uses for your tent. For example, if you only intend to have one or two other people with you, then you most likely would not need a heavy, extra-large tent with a 20-foot diameter.
- Type: As you can tell from our top 12 list, canvas tents come in a number of different types and styles. Traditional pyramid, or teepee, shapes are common for smaller 2-3 person tents. For larger groups, “bell” tents, which feature long center poles to increase the tent’s height and diameter, are often a popular choice.
Some of the largest canvas shelters are rectangular-shaped “wall” tents. These tents often include frames with angular rafters rather than straight poles. These frames allow for increased stability and rigidity over longer lengths and widths than other tents.
If you own a truck, then there are tents that are specifically designed to convert your vehicle’s long, standard, or short bed into a comfortable camping space. These tents allow you the freedom to sleep anywhere while also giving you access to your truck’s radio, navigation, and power supply.
A swag personal tent might be the ideal option if you are looking for something that you can use to camp by yourself. These tents are typically 5 to 7 feet in length and include ventilation windows at the top and bottom for airflow.
- Canvas Protective Coatings: Many top canvas tent brands apply additional coatings to their canvas to offer increased protection. For example, you can have your tent treated with special chemicals to make it more resistant to mold, potential fires, or to damage from the sun.
- Floor Options: Canvas tents generally have 3 alternative floor options. You could get a tent without a separate floor sheet. In fact, most truck bed tents do not have a floor covering.
Alternatively, you could get a tent with a zip-in PVC ground sheet or a sewn-in floor. These plastic layers have several benefits. First, they provide better insulation and keep you and your belongings from directly touching the ground.
In the event of rain or snow, a floor will keep moisture out. Zip-out floors can be removed when you are disassembling your tent to allow them to be cleaned and dried. Sewn-in floors may be more of a challenge to clean and dry before you put your tent away.
- Wall Height: Side wall height is also an important attribute because it impacts the tent’s overall height. For example, bell tents with 3-foot side walls will typically have an overall height between 5 feet and 8.5 feet depending upon the length of the center pole.
However, tents with 5-foot side walls could have a total center height between 9 and 15 feet depending upon its frame and truss system. This additional height would mean that your taller guests might be more comfortable and less likely to have to crouch to enter and exit the tent.
Why is it Important to season a canvas tent?
Canvas can naturally repel water and resist mold and mildew. However, you must effectively season it first for it to achieve these properties. We will explain how to season a canvas tent in a few easy steps.
When you first buy your tent, we recommend that you spread the canvas out in an open area. Then, use a garden hose or other source to saturate the fabric with water. After that, let the canvas dry thoroughly in the sun. This process should season the material so that it will become watertight.
What size tent should I choose?
The optimal tent shape and dimensions will depend upon what you intend to do with your tent. If you are planning to go hiking alone, then you might want to choose a small one-person shelter that you can easily carry with you in a canvas bag. However, if you are traveling with a large family or group, then you may need a tent with a diameter of at least 16 or 20 feet that can comfortably accommodate 8 or 10 people.
What is the average useful life for a canvas tent?
If you properly season and take care of your tent, then it could last as long as 20 or 30 years. However, if you keep your tent set up for months or years on end, then continued exposure to the sun, wind and rain will significantly shorten your tent’s useful life.
Purchasing a tent fly, or a covering that goes over and extends beyond your tent’s roof can add to its durability and life expectancy. Tent flies provide additional protection from harmful UV rays and can provide additional shade for you while using the tent.
Why do I need a stove jack?
A stove jack is a hole in the side or in the ceiling of the tent that you can use to put a stovepipe through to the outside. The jack is critical for allowing smoke and embers from your cooking stove out of your tent. Using a stove in a tent without a jack poses a significant health hazard to you and your guests as well as a fire hazard.
Making the Decision
We hope that you have found this canvas tent review to be both helpful and informative. After considering the features and options of each tent, we strongly recommend Dream House’s three-season cotton canvas camping pyramid tent.
We feel that this tent provides an overall excellent balance between price, capacity, and amenities. This tent will easily sleep 2 or 3 adults and only weighs a little over 28 pounds. The included canvas tote makes it easy to bring this tent to your favorite nature spots.
In most cases, you should be able to set up this tent yourself. The center pole and A-frame around the door provide strong support for the tent. Furthermore, it comes with 8 stakes that you can drive into the ground after setup to ensure that your tent remains in place even in windy conditions.
Purchase your Dream House pyramid tent today and start planning your next camping trip or another outdoor event.