The easiest to learn, MIG welding is very common for household and automotive projects. For those who have never had any experience with welding before, the vast number of welders for sale can be intimidating.
When looking for an at-home welder, it is important to consider the thickness of the metal you are looking to weld, the duty cycle, as well as its power source, and any accessories that you may need to complete your task. To help you along, we have reviewed the market and come up with a list of the best MIG welders under $1000 that are available for purchase.
Best MIG Welders Under $1000:
1. Hobart – 500553 Handler 210 MVP MIG Welder
The Hobart Handler is the best 200 amp MIG welder under $1,000. This machine is high-quality and has a plethora of features to enhance its overall use; including more amperage, longer leads, and a longer duty cycle. Perfect for any at-home welding project, this MIG welder is an investment that is sure to last.
- Contains dual-voltage with an MVP plug allowing for simple and versatile power source capabilities
- The quick change drive roll system allows you to interchange each power receptacle easily and hassle-free
- Welds 24 gauge up to 3/8 inch steel in a single pass
- Precise welding can be achieved with this device’s 7 different voltage settings
- Duty cycles-115V 25 to 140 output amperage; 230V 25 to 210 output amperage
- Cast aluminum drive system provides extended durability
- Item Weight: 87.5 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 24 x 18.6 x 13.2 inches
- The purchase comes with a three-year warranty from the manufacturer
- A high-quality welder that encompasses a variety of settings and options that will allow you to weld any number of materials
- Simple to use and is perfect for a novice DIY welder
- This item is quite heavy which may hinder its use in some scenarios
- Due to its weight, this unit will be difficult to transport
2. Forney 318 190-Amp MIG Welder, 230-Volt
The Forney 324 MIG is the best MIG welder for the money. You are able to disconnect the torch to change for another easily. Extremely versatile and simple to use, even for those with very little welding experience.
- This produce is 3 types of welders in one, a MIG, TIG, and stick welder offering options for a wide variety of welding projects all in one machine
- Constructed with easy start to allow for simple use and to change positions in the blink of an eye
- Includes a flow meter that enables you to go regulate gas with a single-stage piston providing you complete control
- The voltage of 115 (15 amps) or 220 (50 amps)
- Built with an all-metal case that will stand up to standard wear and tear
- Upgraded cast aluminum wire drive system
- Purchase includes stick and MIG set-up, gas hose, flow meter, and storage
- Geared idler and drive roll with better de-spooler
- Has a 190 amp maximum output
- Item Weight: 17.6 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 20.2 x 10.2 x 16 inches
- Consumers are commenting about how easy this welder is to use
- This device is extremely well made and is designed for superb execution
- Buyers consider this item a true, multi-purpose machine that is sure to accommodate all of your needs
- You will need to use the same brand rod to ensure optimal performance
- Some buyers have complained that the power switch is inconveniently located away from the other controls on the machine
3. Everlast PowerMIG 200 MIG Stick
The Everlast Power MIG 200 provides a smooth feel and is extremely functional for various types of welding jobs.
- The digital design includes IGBT Inverter that allows for a more stable product with a low spatter arc performance
- Includes the ability to use as a MIG and stick welder for more versatility
- Coupler manufactured in Eurostyle allowing simple changeover to other MIG guns
- Ar/CO2 Regulator included for added safety while in use
- Comes with adjustable automatic Pre flow, Postflow, and Burn back control
- Dual digital displays feature both volt and amp readouts allowing you to adjust parameters easily and quickly for more precise accuracy
- Voltage is at 240 volts and the amperage capacity is 200 A
- Item Weight: 35 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 16 x 7.5 x 15 inches
- This welder offers extreme versatility combined with power enough for any job
- The Digital IGBT inverter design provides a lighter welder with a smaller footprint
- Consumers are loving that this welder comes with so many features that allow easy utilization
- Some consumers have commented that this device is not the best quality
- While highly adjustable, the tuning on this welder could use some work to create exact measurements
4. Lincoln Electric PRO-MIG 180 Welder 230-Volt
The Lincoln Electric Pro is the best 180 amp MIG welder for under $1,000. It is versatile while providing a long list of features that allow it to be used for a variety of projects.
- The wire drive system is heavy duty and adjustable reducing tangling and crushing of wires
- Gun connection is constructed of brass, allowing for better conductivity
- Enjoy minimal spatter with this welder’s smooth arc
- Gearbox is constructed of cast iron aluminum that is durable and enhances drive torque while creating a minimal noise level
- Input Power – 208/230/1/60 Processes – MIG, Flux-Cored
- Voltage is at 230, 180 amperage
- Item Weight: 66 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 14 x 18.6 x 10.2 inches
- This welder provides outstanding performance with a forgiving arc enabling the easy application to your project
- Consumers are extremely pleased with the overall construction and performance of this welder
- This is extremely durable and will definitely last you for a long time
- This welder rates low on the portability scale
- It is unable to convert to a TIG welder
5. LOTOS MIG175 175AMP Mig Welder with Free Spool Gun
This Lotos MIG welder is a highly reliable and dependable machine. It has plenty to offer anyone looking to do some welding projects around their home.
- Wire feeder constructed with high-quality aluminum that is stable and durable for the ability to weld at a higher level
- Reliable and long-lasting transformer technology will keep you on task with all of your projects
- Output for this welder is 175-amp MIG welder; mild/stainless steel: 18 Gauge
- 1/4″; Aluminum: 3/16″ or Thinner. Input voltage: 220/240V AC
- Multi-functional abilities include the capacity to weld stainless steel, mild steel, aluminum as well as other various metals
- Includes MIG torch, aluminum spool gun, ground clamp cable, gas hose, argon regulator, contact tips, welding mask, and wire
- Item Weight: 85 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 18 x 12.5 x 10.5 inches
- Includes a free spool gun as well as several other items with purchase
- Welders are highly satisfied with the power and setting ability of this device
- Consumers are recommending this welder for anyone looking to purchase for at-home or low-volume shop use
- Some consumers found that the wire feed was not very steady
- Others had trouble finding replacement parts for this device
6. YESWELDER Digital MIG-205DS MIG Welder,200Amp 110/220V Dual Voltage
This affordable 200 amp MIG welder is designed to be simple to operate at any skill level. The best MIG welder for under 500, this unit will not use any gas allowing it to be safe while in use. It is extremely versatile while enabling high levels of functions.
- Controls are synergically allowing for simple and easy operation at all times
- A multi-functional device that includes four major functions, Gas MIG /Gasless MIG / Lift TIG / Stick
- Ability to take up to 1.0mm(.035″) MIG solid wire(Gas MIG) and 1.0mm(.035″) MIG FLux wire(Gasless MIG)
- Purchase includes 10ft Mig Gun, 6ft electrode holder, 5ft ground clamp, 220V- >110V Adapter, 1 Additional .030″ & .035″ contact tip, hammer, brush and user manual
- Item Weight: 35 pounds
- Package Dimensions: 20.1 x 14.8 x 11.4 inches
- You can choose what welding method you require at the touch of a button
- Consumers are loving the quality of this welder as well as the vast array of features that are included
- This device contains an outstanding duty cycle
- The instructions on how to use them are not as explanatory as consumers would prefer
- No welder settings chart is included
7. Weldpro 200 Amp Inverter Multi Process Welder
A versatile three-in-one welder, the Weldpro Inverter will automatically adjust wire speed and voltage. It has a myriad of convenient features that will allow you to complete all of your projects precisely and with ease.
- A multi-functional device that is highly capable of MIG welding, Flux Core welding, lift TIG welding, stick welding, and aluminum welding while also allowing for use with a spool gun as well
- Designed to be intuitive and provide synergy throughout the welding process
- Dual digital display allows for easy-to-read and set amperage and wire speeds
- Includes VRD high temp and overload protection with indication
- Welder enables user adjustable inductance settings
- Amperage output: 200 amps with 30% duty cycle at 200 amps
- Has settings that allow manual or automatic wire feeds
- Item Weight: 30.4 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 17.7 x 8.7 x 15 inches
- The purchase comes with a two-year warranty
- This is a multi-purpose machine that will allow you to perform several operations with one machine
- Consumers are loving the lightweight stature and portability of this device
- The synergic settings that predetermine the wire feed rate based upon the specific amperage that’s been set are not always conducive to specific needs while in operation
- This welder may not be adequate for those individuals that are more advanced in the welding arena
8. Welder, MIG/Flux Core, 120V, 90A @ 18.5VDC
The Miller Electric is a single-phase MIG welder that is simple to use and operate. It is produced with high-quality standards and will complete most common jobs with plenty of ease.
- Capable of welding mild steel, stainless steel, and aluminum with a thickness of 24 gauge. to 3/16 inches
- Built to be portable with its handheld design
- The voltage at 120 with an output range of 30 to 140A DC
- Duty Cycle 20 Percent
- Welding Processes MIG/Flux Core
- Item Weight: 64 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 23.9 x 15.6 x 16.9 inches
- Consumers are happy with the simplicity and comfort while utilizing
- This device produces a smooth and stable arc that will accommodate several different uses
- The driver roll is all metal, which is quite pleasing to buyers
- Some buyers have commented that the heat is a little light for their requirements
- This is a great welder for around-the-house jobs but may not be sufficient for more complicated jobs
9. VIVOHOME MIG Welder 130 Flux Core Wire Automatic Feed Welding Machine Portable No Gas 110V DIY Home Welder w/Free Mask Black
The Vivohome MIG welder is portable with a flux core wire that does not use any gas. Although this is a cheap MIG welder, there is no lack of capability or functionality with this device.
- Flux-cored wire offers self-release metal inert gas which prevents the oxidation of the part that you are welding
- Suitable to weld components that are made of mild or stainless steel, and aluminum sheet metal
- Provides adjustable speeds up to four levels for maximum versatility
- Compact and extremely lightweight, this device was designed to be portable
- Hand grip enables overall comfort while the machine is in operation or being transported
- Includes a welding gun, grounding clamp, welding helmet, welding wire brush, and much more
- Item Weight: 37.3 pounds
- Package Dimensions: 20.5 x 15.2 x 12.4 inches
- A very affordable unit that is sure to satisfy every budget
- Buyers are highly impressed with the excellent functionality of this low-cost welder
- Overheating protection indicator is a wonderful safety feature that provides piece of mind for the operator
- The instructions that come with this machine are quite technical and may be difficult for beginners to understand
- The mask that is included is basic and may need upgrading after prolonged use
Factors to Consider When Buying Best MIG Welders Under $1000
MIG welding is primarily used for automotive and various home-repair projects. This process is easy to learn and is the most common form of welding.
When looking to purchase a MIG welder, it is necessary to understand the capacity and functionality of the welder along with a few other key components. Here are a few things to bear in mind when searching for the perfect MIG welder for your projects.
This is the ratio of the time that is taken for a signal to complete an on and off cycle. In common language, a duty cycle refers to how long you can run your welder before it will shut down.
The closer you get to your machine’s limit results in a decrease in the quality of the welder’s functionality. Some devices will be equipped with an automatic shut-off feature if the machine gets overheated.
However, is it still important to keep an eye on this, as these devices can be flammable if they are kept going at high temperatures regularly or for extended periods of time?
Amperage and Time
You will first need to figure out what projects you will need this welder for, as different jobs require different amounts of amperage (heat) produces.
Thinner metals need less heating time and can be welder with light-duty units. Thicker metals will require a constant flow of heat for an extended period of time. This should be considered when purchasing your MIG welder.
There are different gas types used for MIG welders, but the most common are carbon dioxide and argon. Carbon dioxide is a low-cost gas that provides a wide arc.
This method is typically not very stable and tends to produce a high amount of splatters. The argon gas welders are not appropriate for use on steel and are typically only used on metals like aluminum.
It creates a narrow bead from a low thermal heat conductivity. This form is not powerful enough to weld a steel joint; a carbon dioxide gas MIG welder should be used for these jobs.
Voltage of Welder
For projects that will typically be done in a home setting, a 115-120 volt welder will typically be sufficient for most projects.
This welder voltage will plug into most household three-prong plugs, but will also need a plug outlet with 20-30 amps of good ground connection fused.
After carefully reviewing all of the MIG welders on our list, we believe the Hobart Handler 210 MVP MIG welder is the best purchase for under $1,000.
This unit has been built with superior quality and allows you to perform a wide range of projects, all with just one machine. Alternatively, the Forney 324 Three-In-One welder also offers amazing versatility and capability without breaking your budget into pieces.
If you have any questions regarding these, or any welding device that is on our list, please feel free to reach out. Thank you, and Happy Welding!