Do you have to change your outdoor locks continuously? Has the weather destroyed the typical padlocks that you have used? In this article, we are going to show you how to find the best weatherproof padlocks for your outdoor storage needs. We have analyzed 10 padlocks to discover their pros, cons, and major features.
Our personal experiences with these locks have enabled us to provide recommendations for the best high-end outdoor security padlocks, whether you need a temporary one for camping or a long-term storage shed lock. Keep reading to discover which padlock will suit your needs the best
Weatherproof Padlocks: My Top Picks
Master Lock 5422D Portable Push Button Lock Box
The large size of this key lockbox definitely gives it a unique look. But the size of the lock is exactly what makes it perfect for tulip doorknobs and ball biscuit doorknobs.
Construction includes both metal for durability and a vinyl coating to prevent damage and protect the buttons.
- Easily mountable
- Designed for a permanent spot
- Usable for both indoor and outdoor
- Can be difficult to insert the keys into the lockbox once it is lying flat
- Need a completely flat surface to mount the device
Padlock 4 Digit Combination Lock
Do you need a versatile lock that does not require a key? If you are looking for the best weatherproof combination padlock, this one is our favorite because of the size, extra security measures, ease of use, and wide range of colors. The fact that it can easily be used for both your gym lockers and your outdoor fences also makes it one of our favorite padlocks.
Consumers like the small weight of the padlock. Although they report that the padlock is sturdy and durable, some customers do not the appearance of the padlock, as they believe it looks cheaply made, regardless of the actual durability of the product.
- Handles even severe weather, such as ice and snow
- Can be used for gyms, outdoor fences, storage facilities
- Has more than 10,000 possible combinations, which makes it harder for thieves to guess the combination
- On some occasions, the lock was not able to withstand the corrosive effects of sand. If you live in a desert or other dry area, it may not be as suitable for your needs.
Disecu 2.5 Inch Long Shackle Combination Lock
This padlock set includes two locks and is a great choice for a rustproof padlock if you need to protect items in multiple locations. Keyless entry, increased security measures, and the ability to use the lock both indoors and outdoors make this padlock set one we recommend.
Consumers praise this padlock set for having two rustproof padlocks. Consumers are pleased with the ability of the locks to withstand both water and cutting attempts from thieves.
- Suitable for a variety of storage needs, including luggage, fences, toolboxes, and gym lockers.
- Compact size, yet large enough to fit most storage needs.
- Complicated set-up process
- Requires a password and cannot be unlocked if you do not remember the password.
ABUS Weatherproof Padlock Keyed Different with Stainless Steel Shackle
When looking at combination padlocks for outdoor use, this padlock definitely became one of our favorites due to the amount of protection it offers against debris and water. In addition to protection against the elements, this padlock features a paracentric keyway to boost security against tampering.
Consumers love the high-quality brass that the lock is made out of since many of the high-quality security padlocks in Europe are commonly made from brass. Consumers also praise the lock’s ability to withstand even the hottest and most humid conditions.
- A paracentric keyway decreases the chances a thief can “pick” the lock
- The vinyl cover protects against scratches
- Protects against any type of weather
- Cannot withstand salt water, due to the high concentration of corrosive salt
- Requires the key that it comes with and extra keys cannot be made by anyone but the manufacturer
Master Lock 40D Stainless Steel Discus Padlock with Key
Finding the right outdoor padlocks for gates can be difficult because many padlocks do not come in the right design shape. Other padlocks are simply not attractive enough to be on the gate. This padlock is both stylish in design and practical for protecting your items.
Consumers love the ability to put this lock on a gate and not detract from the overall look of their property. They also praise the ability to make multiple keys from the lock.
- A dual locking lever and four-pin cylinder decrease thieves’ ability to pick the lock
- Resistant to bolt cutters
- Not a diverse lock and can only be used for locking gates
- Ease of copying the keys makes for a less secure lock
BRINKS – 70mm Commercial Stainless Steel Keyed Discus Padlock
Both durability and a wide range of uses make this lock a good quality combination padlock. We also love the unique look of the lock, which is improved with black rubber that offers both elegance and protection against scratches.
Consumers praise this lock for its unique look and ability to protect most storage structures. However, some consumers noted that the lock is not quite large enough to use for a gate.
- Works well with toolboxes, lockers, moving containers, and outdoor storage facilities
- Protects against rain and snow
- Too small to work well with very large structures, including U-hauls and gates
- Requires time to lubricate before the key will work with the lock
Master Lock Outdoor Combination Lock, Heavy Duty Weatherproof Padlock
We already knew that the “master lock” name was going to result in a premium-quality heavy-duty padlock, but this one exceeded our expectations.
The fact that this lock’s shackle is stronger than stainless steel due to its boron-carbide design makes consumers happy. Some consumers have reported that the digital code the package gives to set the device does not work.
- The rubber flap protects the combination dial from exposure to the elements
- Works for sheds, gates, and other outdoor storage facilities
- Combination easily viewed when the shackle is unlocked, providing a significant security flaw
- Intended only for outdoor use, not indoor lockers
- Rubber cover not reliable with frequent use
Locker Lock – 4 Digit Combination Lock
Many outdoor security padlocks demand a high cost, but this one can be purchased for a good price. The lock also deserves praise for being easy to open while also offering sturdy construction and resistance to potential tampering from criminals.
Customers are happy to report that the lock does very well in the outdoors, remaining resistant to both extremely hot and extremely cold weather. Consumers also praise the high-quality customer service by the manufacturer.
- Can be used in a variety of settings, including cabinets, toolboxes, school lockers, outdoor sheds, fences, and doors
- Resettable combination lock
- Easy set-up
- No keys mean you have to remember the password
- Occasionally stops accepting the combination
FortLocks Gym Locker Weatherproof Lock
This brightly colored padlock sends a clear message to would-be thieves that their desire to break in is going to be futile. When it comes to finding the best padlocks for winter, we were also very impressed with the resistance of this lock to both wetness and cold.
Consumers love the versatility of this lock and the ease with which they are able to use it. Consumers are a little concerned that the lock will only lock if the combination is set.
- The large size makes it very easy to see from a distance
- Resistant to weather, cutting, and breaking
- Can be used for both home and outdoor use, including lockers, sheds, garages, and toolboxes
- Some locks freeze up in extreme cold
- A shackle diameter of 7mm will not fit some campers
ABUS All Weather Solid Brass Padlock
If you are looking for a rust-resistant padlock, this German-engineered lock offers both a cover and a drainage channel to reduce the amount of rust and corrosion that is allowed to develop. The large shackle also makes the lock perfect for multiple storage applications.
Consumers are happy to be able to buy this lock for this price tag. They are also happy to report that its long shackle can make the lock easy to use with a variety of products, including bikes.
- The vinyl cover makes it highly resistant to dirt and water
- Excellent lock if you need to worry about corrosion as even the inside of the lock fights against corrosion
- Can freeze up on the inside
- Only comes with two keys and is very difficult to have the keys made by other blacksmiths
Factors to Consider
When you are looking for the best combination padlock for outdoor use, you need to first consider the type of weather that the padlock must be able to resist. If you live in extremely dry temperatures, you do not need to worry about buying a freeze-proof padlock.
Likewise, if you live somewhere that is extremely dry, you do not have to worry about buying a padlock that is durable against rain and snow.
Additionally, you need to decide if you want a weatherproof padlock that you can use for multiple uses. Do you want to be able to take the lock off your shed when you are done storing items in there and take them to the gym?
Not all locks that work for outdoor purposes, such as fences, will have the shackle size to work on inside storage containers.
The second consideration to keep in mind is how dirty the padlock is going to become over the course of its use. Mud, sand, and grass can cause very different reactions and have to be taken into consideration just as much as the weather does.
Are you going to be taking the lockout into the marine weather? Salt can be very damaging to any lock, and you will need to buy the best padlock for outdoor use that you can afford.
Type of Locking System
Finally, do you want to have a key or do you want to have a combination lock? The most secure keys will be very difficult to replicate, so if you lose your key, you will not have any way to open the lock other than having a professional locksmith cut the lock for you.
If you choose a combination lock, you will need to make sure that your memory will be able to handle remembering the same combination every day.
For overall combination locks, we recommend the Master Lock M175XDLF Heavy Duty Outdoor Combination Lock, 1-1/2 in. Shackle, Brass Finish.
This lock is highly resistant to both the weather and thieves. If you are looking for a lock that uses a key instead, we recommend the ABUS 70/45 All Weather Solid Brass Blue Padlock Keyed Different – Stainless Steel Shackle, which provides enhanced security and keys that can be copied by any competent locksmith.
But now that you have read this guide, you are more than prepared to make your own decisions! You now know exactly what makes the best padlock for outdoor use. Take this knowledge and find the best lock for your storage needs