Finding the best pool brush can be difficult. It can be hard to know which brushes will be the most effective or have the best design when you are shopping online. Depending on your pool and the number of algae and debris that your pool collects, certain brush designs may not work as well for your pool as they would for your neighbor’s pool.
I’ve spent many hours cleaning pools, and I’ve tried a lot of different pool brushes. I’ve learned that it’s important to find a brush with strong bristles that won’t fall out and a design that works well with the shape of your pool. Based on my experience, here are a few tips and reviews to help you find the best pool brush for your pool maintenance routine.
Top Swimming Pool Brushes Reviews
1. Blue Devil Pool Wall Brush Deluxe with Poly Bristles
This 18-inch pool brush features poly bristles and a wide sweep area. One of the best swimming pool brushes on the market, the Blue Devil Pool Brush makes it fast and easy to clean your pool walls. This is a flexible brush that is simple to attach to a telepole brush.
The poly bristles are designed to be able to reach tough corners, while the metal backing gives you enough strength to give your pool a thorough cleaning. The Blue Devil Pool Brush is ideal for above-ground vinyl pools with a curved head that helps to reach spots around the steps of your pool. This is an affordable option that is durable enough to last you a few years of use.
- The brush has a large sweep area that makes cleaning effective and fast
- You get a good clean from the still bristles
- It can reach hard to get to spots in corners and around stairs
- The bristles start to fall after a few months of use
- It has a tight bristle pattern that makes it difficult to clean around contours
2. The Wall Whale Classic WW18Res Wall Whale 18″ Swimming Pool Brush
If you are looking for the best vinyl pool brush, check out the Wall Whale Classic Swimming Pool Brush. Created with a patented “tail fin” design, this pool brush will help you to produce 10 times the force that you get from other pool brushes. Plus, you only use one hand when you use it.
Similar to how a spoiler on a car will help to push the wheels to the ground, the fin on the pool brush keeps the brush in place with every downward stroke.
This allows you to have the leverage you need for a cleaner pool. This is a great choice if you have problems with algae or routine brushing. The Wall Whale Classic Swimming Pool Brush also works well on large surface areas.
- The tail fin creates a massive cleaning force with each downward stroke
- You can brush efficiently, using only one hand to clean an average pool in about 5 minutes
- The fin on the brush gets in the way around steps and corners
- The fins that connect the pegs are fragile and tend to break
3. Poolmaster 18100 Curved Swimming Pool Brush Head
This 17 ½ inch swimming pool brush is perfect for cleaning algae and grime from spa and pool surfaces. The Poolmaster’s Essential Collection Pool Brush features a curved back and is made with durable materials. This is a must-have for your pool cleaning supplies and works with a standard pool pole.
The curved design of the body helps to clean angles and corners in the pool, and it is equipped with five rows of durable bristles. Able to withstand high temperatures, this brush has a wide polypropylene body that helps to clean large areas of the wall. The Poolmaster Pool Brush also comes with an easy-to-adapt handle with easy on-and-off functionality.
- This is an easy-to-adjust pool brush that is easy to attach to a pool pole
- It is great for regular pool maintenance
- After a while, the bristles start to fall off
- It is made of plastic
4. Poolmaster 20183, 18 Inch, 18-Inch Aluminum-Back Swimming Pool Algae Brush with Stainless Steel Bristles
When considering pool brushes for algae, the Poolmaster Aluminum Pool Brush should be at the top of your list. Featuring stainless steel bristles, this 18-inch pool brush has an aluminum back for increased durability. Providing incredible performance that will last for years, this pool brush has what it takes to give you a clean swimming pool all year long.
Perfect for pools with tough surfaces, the Poolmaster Aluminum Pool Brush uses die-cast aluminum on its handle and back for incredible strength. The five rows of stainless-steel bristles make for cleaning large pools, and its compact size makes it easy to clean hard-to-reach spots.
- It does a great job of removing algae off the floor and walls of a pool
- Great for use on plaster pools
- It is really durable and lasts a long time
- The bristles tend to fall out in the pool
- Not a good choice for fiberglass or vinyl surfaces
5. Milliard 10 inch Wide Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Wire Pool Brush
Perfect for concrete surfaces, the Milliard Wire Pool Brush works well on really tough stains and algae buildup. This 10-inch heavy-duty stainless-steel pool brush is created to work on Gunite and concrete pools as well as walkways. It makes it easy to keep your pool maintained and clean throughout the summer.
It can be hard to clean dirt and algae off of concrete, but the Milliard Wire Pool Brush is made with an aluminum-reinforced bristle housing that makes it more durable, so you can scrape growth and stains that don’t respond to other types of brushes.
This compact brush allows you to apply more pressure making it easier to remove algae. It fits all standard pool poles and has a handle that is angled at 45° for the best positioning for effective cleaning.
- This is a great brush for stubborn algae on ladders and steps
- It allows you to work longer than other brushes before getting tired
- It fits really well onto a telescoping handle
- It doesn’t work well on corners
- When you first use it, it emits a cloudy residue
6. Aquatix Pro Pool Brush
This heavy-duty 18-inch aluminum pool brush features stainless steel bristles and comes with EZ clips. The Aquatix Pro Pool Brush is perfect for pool walls, tiles, and floors. This wall cleaning brush helps to effectively get rid of dirt and stubborn stains in minutes.
The stainless-steel bristles allow for better scrubbing power than nylon bristles while the heavy-duty design of the brush is built to last. The Aquatix Pro Pool Brush will save you lots of time as you clean, plus it lets you get to those hard-to-reach corners. It was created to be compatible with standard pool poles making it easy to use.
- This well-made brush will last you years
- It works really well at the waterline where you have debris that tends to stick
- This is a heavy-duty brush with a great grip
- Its heaviness makes it harder to use at the end of a pool pole
7. SweepEase PolyPool Brush
This pool scrubber is made of a SS/Poly blend allowing it to make contact every time you use it.
These high-quality materials will never bend allowing them to stick to the wall as it is clean. The SweepEase AquaDynamic Pool Brush measures 18 inches giving it a nice and wide cleaning area, which helps it to remove calcium, algae, and sodium easily.
The SweepEase AquaDynamic Pool Brush has a patented airfoil design that easily glides through water using only 5 to 10 pounds of pressure.
The aluminum handle features a quick one-finger release allowing you to operate it with just one hand.
- It stays against the floor and wall better than other brushes
- Easy to operate, this brush is not awkward to manipulate
- It has an easy-to-attach mechanism when you put it on pool poles
- Bristles will fall out as you use it
- The plastic clips on the brush tend to break
8. U.S. Pool Supply Professional 20″ Floor & Wall Pool Cleaning Brush
This professional 20-inch pool brush comes with an adjustable angle and EZ Clip Handle. With seven rows of strong nylon bristles, the U.S. Pool Supply Pool Brush can easily sweep away algae from steps, floors, and walls. This is great algae brush for large pools thanks to its sturdy body and wide scrubbing area.
The adjustable handle allows you to scrub using several different angles, which makes it easy to reach those hard-to-clean areas in corners, steps, and floors. The EZ clip buttons prevent your fingers from getting jammed or pinched when detaching or attaching them to the telescopic pole. It fits all standard 1 1 /4-inch pool poles and is safe to use with any type of pool.
With curved bristles, the U.S. Pool Supply Pool Brush stays in contact with the surface of the floor and wall. Plus, you use less effort while cleaning since it is easier to maneuver around the pool’s slopes.
- It has very sturdy bristles
- This is a very affordable brush that works well
- It’s perfect for scrubbing and cleaning
- The materials are plastic, so it won’t last long
- The attachment will snap after awhile
9. Blue Torrent Brush
Unlike the wall whale pool brush, the Blue Torrent Pool Brush uses a 360-degree design to clean your pool. Measuring 12 inches, this circular brush uses its innovative design to reach dirt in corners, steps, and along the walls. You can easily attach it to a telescopic pole and scrub the dirt away from around or in your pool.
The power bristles make the Blue Torrent a great floor and wall brush. The bristles also do not fall out easily making this a brush that will last you many years.
- The bristles don’t fall out easily
- It’s round so it works from all angles, especially from corners
- This is a great brush for stairs, and it just powers through dirt
- If you leave it in the sun, the white bristles will start to fall out
10. All Wonder Crystal Pool Brush
Featuring a modern and attractive design, the Blue Devil Wall Brush Deluxe is a strong metal pool cleaning brush that will last you years of use. This heavy-duty brush is easy to use by simply connecting it to any pole. The strong metal backing helps to give you the strength you need for a thoroughly cleaned pool wall.
The molded bristles make this a super rigid algae remover and can easily lift away dirt from your above-ground pool. The flexible design of the Blue Devil Wall Brush Deluxe allows you to get to hard-to-reach corners and the wide 18-inch sweep area for faster cleaning. Perfect for any type of pool, this strong pool brush will not bend ensuring that you get a really good scrub.
- It has a lightweight but solid construction
- You can get good and thoroughly clean with the curved head
- The nylon bristles are sturdy but soft and can scrub away all the algae from the pool walls
- The customer service isn’t great and often doesn’t honor warranties
- The pin that connects the brush to the pole can be tricky to use
Factors to Consider
As you shop for a pool brush, there are a few things to keep in mind. The amount of cleaning power is a vital consideration, especially when you consider what will make your cleaning job easier. Durability is also important since you want something that will last while a wider brush will give you a larger cleaning area that will save you time as you work.
Size only matters up to a point. With a larger brush, you can cover more surface area of a wall, but it can be hard to maneuver. You want to be comfortable as well as fast, so a large brush may not necessarily be the best choice.
When considering size, look for brushes between 15 and 18 inches at the most. If you choose a brush any larger than this, it can become uncomfortable to use.
Scraping bristles and synthetic fibers are some of the best materials to use in a pool brush. They are both hard enough to get rid of everything that could affect your water quality.
The brush handle should be made of wood, aluminum, or hard plastic. Make sure you choose the best materials for the type of surface you are cleaning since some are better for vinyl or fiberglass than others.
Pool brushes don’t necessarily come with a pole attachment or their own pole. You may have to buy a pole, which isn’t a big deal if you find a really good model. Keep in mind that you will probably have to replace the brush at some point, so having a pole around will probably be a benefit in the future.
Typically, a pool brush is rectangular and features extra-long sides that will cover a large surface with every sweep. Some will come with a curved edge on one side of the brush, which can help for getting into corners.
If there is an alteration from the rectangular shape, make sure it serves a practical purpose like scraping or scrubbing.
A different shape should be an extra benefit to your pool brush which can be a good choice if you have a log of algae or a pool with pebbles. If you don’t have issues with either, look for a traditional shaped pool brush.
Why Should You Use a Pool Brush?
It’s really important to use a pool brush during pool maintenance since it is a great tool for getting rid of dirt and grime quickly. You can also use powerful chemicals in the water to make algae grow slower, but they can be dangerous for those swimming in the pool. By using a good pool brush, you save money on chemicals as well as keep your family safe.
What Should I Know About Brushing My Pool?
If you end up exerting yourself a lot while you use your pool brush, you probably don’t have the brush. With the right brush, you shouldn’t have to push all of your weight behind it to get the algae scrubbed off the pool walls. All you should have to do is firmly and gently move the pool brush up and down along the wall of the pool in a circular motion.
Just makes sure you are also hitting every corner of the pool’s surface with your scrubbing motion. Overall, if you have the right brush, your pool shouldn’t be a hard cleaning job.
How do You Clean A Pool Brush?
After you are done cleaning your pool, remember to run a strong stream of water over your pool brush to allow all the algae and dirt to drain off of it. If it still looks dirty, you can soak it in an all-purpose cleaner for an hour before running water over it again.
The winner of the best pool brush roundup is the Aquatix Pro Pool Brush. This heavy-duty 18-inch aluminum pool brush features stainless steel bristles and helps get to hard-to-reach areas. The Aquatix Pro Pool Brush is perfect for pool walls, tiles, and floors and is effective at getting rid of dirt and stubborn stains in minutes.
The stainless-steel bristles allow for better scrubbing power than nylon bristles while the heavy-duty design of the brush is built to last. The Aquatix Pro Pool Brush will save you lots of time as you clean, especially when it comes to pool corners. The definite winner of the best pool brush roundup is the Aquatix Pro Pool Brush hands down